History of Colonial Cutlery International, Inc.
Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by the Paolantonio brothers; Antonio, Domenic, Fredrick . Prior to the three brothers forming Colonial Knife, they each worked in other occupations which would hone their skills as manufactures and businessmen.
Antonio: upon returning from the First World War where he served as black smith with the U.S. Cavalry he started the A. Paolantonio Cutlery Company where he began making knives for the jewelry industry.
Domenic: worked for the Empire Knife Company, Meridian CT, as a foreman
Fredrick: worked for the Imperial Knife Company, Providence, Rhode Island as a department head.
The brothers proved they had the skills needed to achieve success. Antonio handling the sales, Domenic the finances and Frederick the manufacturing process.
The 20’s and 30’s would prove to be difficult times but with hard work and determination the brothers would overcome all obstacles.
When the Second World War broke out, Colonial Knife was engaged in the production of the famous Mark 1 Navy Deck Knife and the Navy Pilot Survival Knife along with a variety of military jack knives. During the, war Antonio served on the war production board in Washington D.C where he oversaw the allocation of steel to the cutlery industry.
During the next 70 years Colonial Knife grew adding new products. The 1950’s inspired such brand names as the Sure Snap (auto knife) along with the Cub Hunter and Rin Tin Tin series and other well know styles of knives that would earn the Colonial brand a reputation as “a boy’s first knife”.
The 1970’s saw the introduction of a number of better quality brands for Colonial such as the Ranger series, Master Brand, Swiss Master, and Old Cutler series. Each of these new series helped to increase demand for the Colonial brand throughout the United States.
Colonial Cutlery Int., Inc.
61A Dewey Avenue
Warwick, RI 02886